☾
Progress
Progress
by Rick at 17:28, 2017-08-10 (day 1194)
We are making good progress to Suwarrow, under 400nm to go this morning. The wind has swung to be directly behind us so we have now dropped the main and are just using the genoa alone. It's pretty comfortable onboard despite the large seas.

It is however looking increasingly unlikely that we can stop at Suwarrow. We always knew this could happen in the Pacific but we have been lucky until now. This time it seems that there is a second front coming and with the strong SE winds forecast - that will make the anchorage at Suwarrow very unpleasant as it's very exposed in that direction.

We intend to still head that way as it's not a huge deviation on course to our next stop. We can make the decision on Sunday morning once we have the best forecasts. It could just be a case of sitting it out in a snotty anchorage for 36 hours, or it could be more like Pitcairn - untenable.

If we miss Suwarrow, we could visit American Samoa before heading to Samoa as we would have time. Decisions, decisions...

⇽
⇾